What you will find on our site
This website is about women’s basketball, and it is dedicated to all sports enthusiasts who want to learn more about this topic. By browsing through our web pages, you will find a short history of major developments in women’s basketball including a list of the most popular competitions around the world.
2016 comes with many important events. As a result, we are also going to look at top 3 women’s basketball teams. In the last decade, online sports betting became immensely popular, and it is only natural to analyze the sports betting opportunities it presents. You will find all you need to learn by browsing our pages.
The sport of basketball was invented in 1891 by Dr. James Naismith, who at that time was a physical education instructor at Springfield College, Massachusetts. He is also the author of the original basketball rulebook and lived to see basketball adopted as an Olympic sport during the 1936 Summer Olympics held in Berlin.
In 1892, one year later after basketball was invented, women started playing the game at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts under the strict supervision of education instructor Senda Berenson. The game quickly spread to other colleges across the United States and it didn’t take long before the first intercollegiate women’s basketball game was played in 1896 between the University of California, Berkeley and Stanford University.
By 1970, women’s basketball became so popular around the world that it attracted the attention of the International Olympic Committee. As a result, it was added as an official sport at the Olympic Games in 1976.
1982 marks the founding of the National Collegiate Athletic Association or NCAA. This is a non-profit association that organizes athletic programs for most colleges and universities across the United States and Canada. The NCAA started sponsoring women’s basketball determining the NBA to found the WNBA or Women’s National Basketball Association, in 1996.
At present times, women’s basketball is immensely popular worldwide, and such leagues exist in many countries across all continents.
Women basketball worldwide
At an international level, women’s basketball is governed by the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) and the most prestigious tournaments are considered to be the Summer Olympic Games organized every 4 years and the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup held in even-numbered non-Summer Olympic years.
On the list of the other main competitions around the world, we need to mention:
- FIBA Africa Women’s Championship is the continental championship of Africa organized every two years. The winning teams of the competition qualify to participate in FIBA World Cup and Summer Olympics.
- Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) is a professional basketball league in the United States consisting of 14 teams and with a regular season played each year from June to September.
- In Europe, the dominant league competitions are the Russian Women Basketball Premier League, the Italian Serie A1, and Turkish Women’s Basketball League.
- In England, the English Women’s Basketball League is considered a major tournament including both semi-professional and amateur levels.
- The Women’s National Basketball League (WNBL) is the most popular league in Australia. The league consists of 8 teams with a regular season played from October to March.